Spreading hope with every stitch....THE BAG OF HOPE ...
A group of unskilled women in rural Kwa-Zulu Natal in South Africa formed a support group for those living with HIV and AIDS, focusing on the children. They:
- operate a community center to provide education, support & material help for the needy
- provide a soup kitchen and feeding program for the little ones
- create a safe zone for the children - it's a dangerous world for them with no adults to help, support or guide them
- learned to sew to fund their efforts
- work - not asking for a handout
- give hope to the little ones
They epitomize VUKUZAKHE - Zulu for "Wake up and do it for yourself!" For info, call: (302) 393-6629 Sign up and follow us on Facebook - click "like" - we update the page regularly. Thanks for helping us spread the word!
and at the gift shop in the Biggs Museum of American Art in Dover, Delaware
Thurle Jones and Sizacele Cele sewing ladybirds
One of our stars,THEMBEKA, is now also making her own Bags of Hope to sell in SA - recently she presented one to Janice Lee of the SAGA Charitable Trust in the UK - SAGA fund the Home Based Care program in the Amandawe area. Big WELL DONE to Thembeka!
SUCH EXCITEMENT ....
The community center was opened on Wednesday, 14 October, with a ceremony, dancing and food - a great big well done to all! See under "accolades" for more photos...
The proud group of sewing ladies and perma-gardeners at the opening ceremony
NEW EMBROIDERY LANDSCAPES!
Margaret has just joined the group and has learned to embroider and by these marvellous examples, Margaret has a lot of talent!
Take your bag of hope when you shop or traveL ...
PLEASE DON'T FORGET ME!